No matter what kind of cycling you want to participate in, Competitive Gear it the one store in Erie, Pa that is certain to have the product knowledge, reliable service and expert advice you require. This is because the owner and the staff are experienced cyclists.
Peter McMaster opened Competitive Gear in 1983 with the promise of providing equipment and service to riders who competed in local races such as Erie's Quad Games. What he didn't know was how quickly it would become Erie's foremost bicycle shop, not only for competitive riders, but for casual riders and kids as well.
If you are looking for a new bike, you will find the tight one among Competitive Gear's large selection. We carry TREK, GARY FISHER, and KONA bicycles for a complete range of styles and technologies. We also carry a wide variety of important accessories from BONTRAGER, GIRO, SHIMANO, OAKLEY, PARK TOOLS and YAKIMA to fully equip riders of all types.
Why the bike shop matters...
Thinking of buying a new bicycle? One of your first choices, and not necessarily an easy one, will be where to shop. It can be a challenge because there are a myriad of stores that carry two-wheelers, from specialty retailers, to giant department stores, to backyard garage operations.
Where you buy, however, has everything to do with what you get. You see, bicycles aren't like toasters or suitcases. Bikes are shipped in boxes and they must be assembled and tuned.
There are many types, too, and you should never buy until you've figured out which is right for you. Measurements and adjustments are required to ensure the frame is the correct size and that the seat and handlebars are properly positioned. And, every new bicycle will need a minor tune-up after several weeks of use.
What's more, modern road and mountain bikes can travel at high speeds and carry you over demanding terrain where the machine's materials and construction get tested. A quality two-wheeler, carefully assembled and fit to you, will be the safest, most durable and fun bicycle to ride.
For these reasons, we strongly recommend shopping at a good specialty bicycle store in our area. For instance, we hire competent salespeople and expert mechanics who'll ensure that you get the right bike and a quality machine. Look for a store that's clean, has helpful personnel, offers a good selection, and an on-site repair department.
Here are the 9 top reasons our store is the best place to shop: Scroll or click on the list below to jump to that reason.
1. We have the right bike for you. We offer a wide selection of bicycles for different people and cycling abilities. We provide expert assistance in selecting the proper bike. Bicycles are generally made to match certain riding situationa and terain. You need the bike that is correct for the way you want to ride. We help you decide what you need from a bike and help you choose the right model.
2. Comfort and safety. Bicycles come in different sizes. We start witht the right frame size for you, then we position the seat, handlebars and controls to match your riding style. These steps ensure comfort and control of your bike for safety. We have years of experience in fitting bikes to riders and we will get yours fitted properly.
3. All of our bikes professionally Assembled. You might be surprised to learn that bicycles are not completely assembled at the factory. They are actually delivered to us disassembled and in a box. High quality of assembly process is what sets our bikes apart. Spend atleast an hour (usually more,depending on the model) assembling, tuning and testing every bike (at no additional charge to you). This is required by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission and we pride ourselves in meeting the highest standards. Our mechanics are always prepared to make adjustments and provide advice the rpoper use of your bike and its equipment.
4. We aencourage test rides, the best way to select a new machine. How do you know if that new rig is the right ride for you? The best test, and the truest way to judge a bike, is by taking a spin on it. Roll down the street and shift through the gears. Feel how the frame fits your legs and arms. Try the brakes. Stand up and climb. Coast a bit. Does the bike feel comfortable, easy to pedal, smooth? Is it quiet? Do you like the ride? Make some mental notes and return to our shop to try some others. We're happy to let you compare bikes and get a feel so you find the perfect machine.
5. Our experienced staff is happy to offer all the free cycling advice you need. We're staffed by knowledgeable and enthusiastic cyclists who love to share their expertise. Need to learn how to shift, fix a flat, carry gear, pump your tires? Want to find the best places to ride or friends to pedal with? Just ask, and we'll be more than happy to help.
6. Every new bike comes with free tune-ups for 2 years. Bicycles are machines that require maintenance. One of the most important services is the first tune-up, which is due after you've ridden your new bike for a few weeks. During this time, cables might stretch, spokes may loosen and adjustments could change. For your new rig to ride right and last as long as possible, we provide a free tune-up where we thoroughly check all systems (a $30 to $60 value, depending upon the work required). We extend the free service over a period of two years, so you can be sure your bike is properly maintained.
7. All our bikes are guaranteed. We stand behind every bike we sell. If something goes wrong, bring it in and we'll be happy to deal with it. In the rare event of a breakdown, there's also a manufacturer's warranty protecting your purchase.
8. Our bikes offer the highest quality, longest life and best resale value. We don't just stock any bicycles. Because we stand behind our products, we find and carry only the finest brands and models. Which means that you get a great bike that will last and last with nothing more than regular care and maintenance. And, should you decide to upgrade, you'll be able to sell the bike for a good price.
9. We carry all the best accessories to go with your new bike. Cycling's most fun when you have the right gear to go along with that new bike. Our store is loaded with top-quality accessories and equipment such as helmets, locks, pumps, hydration systems, computers, and plenty of other goodies designed to help you enjoy riding. And, we're happy to advise which choices are right for you.